Monday, April 20, 2009

Cultureshark Recommends

*"MLB Tonight": This show has already become a must-see for the hardcore fan. I don't get to see it every night, but it quickly supplanted "Baseball Tonight" as my personal highlights show of choice.

*Superbrawl V on WWE 24/7: Sure, I have better things to do than to watch an early-1990s WCW pay per view, especially one that features Bunkhouse Buck against Hacksaw Jim Duggan. But one thing makes this compelling television: Drunken Bobby Heenan. I used to think that the talk of Heenan showing up inebriated for WCW television was overblown, but sure enough, he sounds like he's sloshed during this broadcast. The man came to a live TV event like this! Some might find this proof of wrestling's low class, and to those I say...so? Hearing Heenan slur his way through the show makes the lackluster event worth at least a glance (or just a listen).

"Irredeemable" #1 by Mark Waid: Between this, "The Incredibles," and "The Muppet Show," I'm really digging Boom! Studios' comics lately. If the story and art itself don't pull you in, read Mark Waid's pitch/mission statement in the back of the book, in which he does a great job of laying out what's going on and what's to come. Of course, by the time you have read the story and art, if you're not into it, the pitch ain't gonna put you over the edge. Because you already read it. Where was I?

Oh, yeah, It's the story of the world's greatest superhero and how (and maybe more importantly, why) he becomes the world's greatest supervillain. There are a lot of wow moments and intriguing ideas in issue 1, so while this is a satisfying installment in itself, it's really a table setter for what's to come.

AMC's Free Streaming B-Movies: I mentioned this in Shark Bites, but I'm mentioning it again because I need to fill space--uh, because it may well be the best the best thing the erstwhile American Movie Classics has done since they put Bob Dorian to pasture. I have yet to actually watch one of these yet, but I tested it the other day, and, yep, it works: AMC's website has cool old B-movies, many unavailable on DVD (and unavailable on AMC, for that matter), free! It's nice to have a reason to say "Bravo" to AMC. If only any of us had a reason to say "Bravo" to Bravo, but that's a cable network to gripe about another day.

No comments: