Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cultureshark Remembers Bea Arthur

Bea Arthur, who died this weekend of cancer at 86, was one of the funniest women ever on television. I want to say that right away because I think somewhere along the way, her talent as a comedienne was overshadowed by her reputation as a tough broad. The tall, imposing appearance and the deep voice helped give her a certain aura, for sure, and then there were those characters she played: There aren't many actresses who could have softened their images by playing Dorothy Zbornak on "The Golden Girls," but that was Bea. One of her catchphrases on that show was telling Betty White, "Shut up, Rose," but even then, you see it now and you're like, "Wow, she's a lot mellower than she was on 'Maude.'"

But leave that and her status in recent years as a "go-to gal" for comics looking to get a cheap laugh at someone's lack of femininity and/or attractiveness (I believe it was Jeffrey Ross who coined the joke, "I wouldn't engage in marital relations with you even were I to use the male appendage of Bea Arthur," although he said it in much cruder and funnier language) aside. Bea Arthur was funny, funny, funny. I don't know that she gets enough credit for that. I know comedy is a matter of personal taste, but I'd sure rather watch something with Bea Arthur--even the "Star Wars Holiday Special"--than the average, say, Lucille Ball show.

Bea Arthur could crack me up with not just a sarcastic putdown (I love how those two words ever go together--how come we never hear about a "sincere putdown?"), but with a mere facial expression. Some of the best moments on "Maude" and "The Golden Girls" are simple reaction shots that just frame Arthur and linger on her for a few seconds. The woman was brilliant.

One of the characteristics of a great comedian is the ability to make you laugh even when you know the line (or the take) is coming, or maybe especially when you know it's coming. Much of what I remember Bea Arthur for is like that--material that doesn't surprise me in and of itself but becomes hilarious due to her timing.

Bea Arthur, one of the greats, is already missed. R.I.P.

No comments: