Saturday, April 25, 2009

On the Radio: All Summer Long Redux

The other day I was in between CDs and flipping around the radio to and from work. In that short span of driving time, I heard Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" not once, not twice, but 3 different times. I'm not going to go into what I feel about the song again, but come on, 3 times in one day?

As if that stat weren't bad enough, the song played on 3 different stations. One is more or less a straight rock station, another an adult contemporary, and the third a pop-rock/top 40 without all but the poppiest hip hop kind of deal. 3 times on 3 different stations in one day!

Hearing this song once is an irritant, hearing it twice is a nuisance, and hearing it thrice is a harbinger of doom. See, it's not even May yet, and already this "summer anthem" is playing again.

Come to think, though, maybe it never really left. Is it possible that Kid Rock's big hit, the unofficial song of the summer of 2008, lingered around long enough to become the song of the summer of 2009?
I want to believe that America is capable of better, but I worry. Yes, it's April, but it's supposed to get up to 90 degrees around here today, and I'm afraid "All Summer Long" already has an important beachhead on the radio. There's always a chance some dumb rap song will come along and take over this summer, but I'm looking to the rock world to unseat the Kid. I'm looking at you, U2! Your album may have peaked, but there has to be a big summer single on there somewhere!
Don't leave us with Kid Rock all summer long.

No comments: