Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hollywood was stupid back then, too, part 1

Hollywood did not just become stupid overnight, or even when the feature film version of "Charlie's Angels" was produced. It's always been stupid, and many of the things we bitch about today were evident and bitch-aboutable (should that be bitchable? Maybe I'm kinda stupid myself) back in the day. Today, I present one example.

I recently watched Arch Oboler's Five (1951), a post-apocalyptic survivors' tale. It's not a classic, but it's pretty good, and if you can track down the "Filmfax" article about the movie from a year or so ago, it's also worthwhile.

Here's the thing, though: The DVD includes the trailer, and I am thankful for that, but I'm also thankful I watched it AFTER the feature. As a matter of fact, I've made it a rule to never watch the original trailer before the movie it accompanies, even for old movies. You see, as much as we complain today about "clueless studios spoiling the whole thing" by giving away the best or pivotal scenes in the previews...

they did it all the time back then, too.

The trailer for "Five" reveals a key plot element that, though telegraphed in the actual film, shouldn't even be in the back of your head when you watch it. It provides a dramatic visual, though, so in it goes into the preview. I mean, I can't believe they totally give away the fact that--ah, just kidding. I won't spoil it like they do.

Hollywood always did this, and it always will. The artistic integrity of the movie and the impact of a fresh viewing experience is not as valued as the need to put butts in the seats. The perception, of course, is that more of us will go see the flick with the cool scenes than will go, "Aw, I WAS gonna go see that, but not now that I saw that trailer." And I think they're probably right.

Just remember that it's not a new phenomenon. Even when you bring home a movie from 1951, make sure you don't run that trailer first.

No comments: