Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This Week in DVD

Green Lantern: First Flight: I'm willing to bet this DC Comics animated feature is as awesome as the previous effort, "Wonder Woman." This is a good time to be Green Lantern now, with the comic book green-hot, this brand-new DVD, and the recent news that the live-action feature is underway. Of course, Ryan Reynolds will be Hal Jordan, but hopefully the movie will overcome that. In this animated version, GL is played by a real man, Christopher Meloni. I don't even watch "Law and Order: SVU," so you know that's a real compliment to him. Or maybe just a real slam on Ryan Reynolds.

Angel of Death: I don't care for star Zoe Bell, but I love Ed Brubaker's hard-boiled comic books. This is a feature version of a live action web series he created, and with a title like "Angel of Death," you know not to expect unicorns and rainbows. Since my slacker self never got around to watching that, this one's for me.

Life on Mars Season 1: This is the original version, and while I don't want to say that all British shows are better than their American counterparts...Yeah, actually that is pretty much what I want to say. You may have seen this show already on BBC America, but it was edited for added commercials, so if you pick up this set, it'll be like watching a whole new show...with the same general theme, plots, characters, and about 85% of the dialogue. But still!

Dollhouse Season 1: and Donna Reed Show Season 2: Untrue story: Joss Whedon was inspired to create "Dollhouse" after watching a "Donna Reed" marathon. Seriously, though, anytime you get a season 2 of a relatively-under-the-radar release like "Donna," it's good news. Maybe this one will keep chugging along on DVD.

Fast and Furious: And now you know why I've focused on comic book adaptations and TV shows this week. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the high-profile theatrical release of the week! Apparently the producers just gave up coming up with clever subtitles for the sequels to "The Fast and the Furious" and said, "Aw, what the hell, no one's coming for the words, anyway."

Becoming Charley Chase: I don't have a lot of experience with silent comedian Charley Chase, but I don't need it to know what a great set this is. Kudos to VCI for releasing this jam-packed collection of Chase's early work. I'm sure it is going to make a lot of people happy.

No comments: