Thursday, August 6, 2009

My wife reads "People" so you don't have to

In this space I am often less than complimentary to "People" magazine, but this time I come to praise the publication. Its August 3 issue does indeed have a ridiculous cover story about the dude from "Twilight" and his MESSY LOVE LIFE (I did not read this story, but my wife assures me it is ridiculous). However, it gives props to Walter Cronkite as well, giving him a small but significant pic in the upper left on the cover.

Inside, there is a modest but tasteful tribute article with pictures. It's not a huge farewell, but it's something.

Contrast this to sister mag "Entertainment Weekly," which gave the legendary newsman no cover mention and one less-than-a-full-page story inside. That "story" wasn't even an obituary or an appreciation by a TV critic or someone who knows something about journalism (probably not many of them left in the EW rolodex). It was a series of brief excerpts from one of Cronkite's own books. "Cronkite In His Own Words."

So "Entertainment Weekly" didn't even bother to do its own writing.

Big-time edge goes to "People" here. I give it a hearty pat on the back, which just happens to make it easier for me to swat the 'Twilight" dude's picture across the room.

No comments: