Wednesday, August 5, 2009

This Week in DVD

Obsessed: If you thought "Fatal Attraction" just wasn't FIERCE enough, well, here you go, it's Beyonce's turn. As for Idris Elba, at some point Stringer Bell must have figured, "I'm never gonna do anything as good as The Wire again, so hell with it," and I can't say I blame him.

The Soloist: So i guess the fact this is on DVD now after being out just a few months ago means Jamie Foxx isn't gonna win another Oscar. Bummer. He played a mentally ill homeless dude for nothing.

Labor Pains: This Lindsay Lohan vehicle, originally intended as a theatrical release, comes to DVD after premiering on ABC Family. How far has your career fallen when straight to video would be a step UP?

Race to Witch Mountain: I don't know why The Rock is in such a darned hurry to get there, but if the witches look like Kristin Chenoweth or Nona, I can understand.

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh: An adaptation of Michael Chabon's first novel, but given the terrible reviews this movie received, I don't know that the author is spreading the word about it so much.

The Love Boat Season 2 Volume 2: Here's a perfect example of the unjust nature of Paramount's heinous split-season strategy: "Love Boat" fans have been waiting for months to see the continuation of the intricate storylines and subtle character developments established in the first half of Season 2.

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29: I don't know much about this documentary, but Netflix sure seems to think I'll like it. Maybe I'll rent it just to see how the game turns out.

Actors and Sin: I know even less about this, but it's a double feature with Eddie Robinson and Eddie Albert in Ben Hecht stories. That's got to be worth a look-see.

Icons of Screwball Comedy Volumes 1 and 2: A great release from Sony, which is really digging into the vaults and filling the void left this year by Warner Brothers. I must admit that while I enjoy "screwball comedies" and understand the label, it often takes about 10 minutes of the movie before I quit anticipating Daffy Duck or Woody Woodpecker to bolt across the screen.

No comments: