Sunday, August 30, 2009

This Week in DVD

Adventureland: Didn't see this yet, but I'm grateful for its non-start at the box office. See, people ignore smart movies about teenagers just as much as they ignore smart movies about adults! I don't have anything else to say about this one, but it gives me an excuse to quote that "Honeymooners" episode in which Alice told Ralph their sink was Adventureland, while the icebox and the stove were Frontierland. I love "The Honeymooners."

Sunshine Cleaning: I don't know if this one if those smart movies about adults, but it sure seemed to fall off the face of the earth despite some early talk it would be a breakout hit. Now we can rent it, ignore all talk of "buzz," and enjoy the delightful Amy Adams. She's always welcome to clean up around here. Not that I want a crime scene to develop or anything, but...aw, never mind.

Duplicity: Speaking of smart movies about adults, you ever notice how when a movie like "Dupicity" underperforms, it's always because "audiences are ignoring smart movies about adults"? It's never, "Eh, our movie just didn't look all that good."

Corner Gas Season 5: Can we skip ahead to season 6? Now that WGN America has pulled the series (moment of silence, please), it looks like DVD is the only way we'll get to see the last batch of episodes.

The Rise and Fall of WCW: History is written by the victors, and we'll find out just how generous Vince McMahon and Co. are in this official WWE version of its former competitor's story. I'm just impressed they got Jim Crockett to do interviews for the documentary, and that won't mean anything to most of you, but I throw it in here for the others.

Thirtysomething Season 1: You can either buy it, rent it, or be true to the spirit of the show and spend 40-some angst-ridden minutes talking about whether to rent or buy it and how the ramifications of each alternative make you feel.

The Adventures of Robin Hood Season 4: Available online today, available in the $5 bin at your local Wal-Mart next year. I don't mean to rip on the show, I got season 1 that way and was happy to do so.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold Volume 1: This is a fun TV show, but come on, 4 episodes? Only 4 episodes? Get with the times, WB. I thought ripping off consumers was one of the casualties of the recession. I guess this is a company with confidence.

No comments: